Sunday, October 24, 2010

Joining a food Co-Op.

I have been interested in joining a food co-op for several years now. I have heard so many good things about them. Recently, I received an e-mail newsletter from Bread Beckers stating that they were going to join a produce co-op that would deliver to their store and that customers could join. I explored the web site for "Natures Garden Deliver
ed" and thought I would give it a try.

The produce is mostly organic and if not, it is natural/local produce. I chose to have produce delivered every other week because it will be for just 2 people and I don't want it going bad. On Friday morning I went by and picked up my box. Opening this box was like Christmas morning! I mean, you kinda know what's in it because you can set your preferences and there is a label with the list of contents, but the produce is beautiful!


My husband doesn't really get on the organic train because he really doesn't believe that it makes that big of difference. However, he grabbed one of the beautiful banana's and took two bites, looked at me and said, "you know this tastes like a real banana." I'm thinking, "it is a...real banana..." But then he says, "You know like when you get something that has a banana flavor, like Laffy Taffy and you think, this doesn't taste like a banana, this banana taste like banana flavor." I think he is about to come around.

This week I have made green beans, potato soup, mashed potatoes, and guacamole out of what I got. What I really hope comes from my experiment is that we will eat a greater variety of fruits and vegetables in our diet. I love cooking so it is challenging me to get out of my dump it from the can, or pour it out of the steam-able freezer bag routine. If you have the time, I highly recommend giving a co-op a whirl. Thus far, I'm really liking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment