Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Netti Pot for your...well.... snot....

Okay, so for years I have heard rave reviews on the sinus clearing Netti pot. My mother tried to tell me about it and I have been terribly skeptical. My number one reason is that I cannot imagine pouring water into my nostrils and that turning out well, ever. I mean, as my friend put it best, I have to hold my nose when jumping in the pool. I hate that burning sensation of water running from your nose to your throat. It always makes me choke.

However, after a day of feeling like my sinus cavities were stuffed with marshmallow fluff including a just overall hazy feeling, I decided to break down and buy one from Target. Mine was around $13.00.

I got the thing home and followed the directions as closely as possible. I have to admit, I felt a little ridiculous pouring a plastic tea pot full of saline solution through my nostril and waiting for it to come out the other nostril while holding my head over the sink. At first, it just filled up my nostril then started running down my throat. I coughed and spewed it. Then I read the directions again and leaned my head further forward over the sink. Second time was a success. You feel a slight pressure pushing through the top of you sinus cavity and then water begins to (in my case) drip out of the other side.

Then you switch sides. Once you have done this you just blow your nose and all the bad stuff comes out. It is now several hours later and my nose is completely cleared out and I am breathing with my mouth shut. So I totally think that this, combined with a little prayer worked!

I shall use the Netti again.

As far as using it on your children, I would read the directions carefully. My mother has used it on my 8 year old nephew but honestly, I can't imagine a kid being able to do it correctly without totally gagging when they swallow a bit of saline solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment